Your lease is a contract between you and the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval. It contains information about your apartment, the rent as well as about your rights and obligations. The term of your lease is usually 12 months. For its renewal, the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval will send you the Request for information for the determination of the rent and you will be informed in writing of the new amount of your rent one month before renewing your lease.



Your rent is determined by the By-law respecting the conditions for the leasing of dwellings in low-rental housing, depending on the composition and household income as well as equipment and services included in the lease. Rent is payable on the first day of the month, in cash, by check, by money order, interac payment at our offices or pre-authorized payment. Any delay in the payment of rent may result in the filing of an application to the Tribunal administratif du logement. If during the lease you or a member of the household experiences a reduction in income, you can request a reduction in rent. To do this, contact us at 450 688-0184. We will send you the form required for this purpose. The Office municipal d’habitation de Laval has thirty days to study your request and, if necessary, reduce your rent.


Housing Adaptation Request

Logement adapte

It is possible for a head of household over the age of 18 with disabilities or significant impairments to request that modifications or installations be made to his accommodation in order to allow him to enter and leave his accommodation, move easily between rooms and perform daily activities safely and independently.

For adaptations of housing under the AccèsLogis (ACL) and Logement Abordable Québec (LAQ) programs, the Office municipal d'habitation de Laval receives financial assistance from the Société d'habitation du Québec under the Programme d’adaptation de domicile (PAD)

For adaptations to housing under the Habitations à loyer modique (HLM) program, the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval has a budget from public funds.

Possible adaptations

Any request for adaptation is possible as long as it respects:

  • The list of eligible equipment and work established by the Société d'habitation du Québec;
  • Budgetary and operational availability;
  • The accessibility and adaptability of the building and the accommodation.

Minor installations:

  • Door step;
  • Grab bars;
  • Raised toilet.

Major installations:

  • Automatic door opener;
  • Shower without threshold;
  • Clearance under the kitchen and bathroom sinks;
  • Lowered kitchen and bathroom counters.

Request accommodation adaptation

For an application to be considered complete and to be analyzed, all requested documents must be completed and sent to the Office municipal d'habitation de Laval at

Documents to completeHLMACLLAC
Housing Adaptation Request (in French) Yes Yes Yes
Autonomy Questionnaire (in French) Yes Yes Yes
Société d'habitation du Québec’s Housing Adaptation Program (in French)* No Yes Yes
Official and detailed report from an occupational therapist Yes Yes Yes

* A copy (in French) of this form can be obtained in any CLSC or ordered through mail

The tenant will receive an acknowledgment of receipt within two weeks of receiving the request. Once the complete application is received, the Office municipal d'habitation de Laval’s Adaptation Committee will analyze the file.

All communications relating to housing adaptation requests must be made in writing. In some cases, the Office municipal d'habitation de Laval may work in collaboration with occupational therapists and / or with municipal partners.

For more information, see the Office municipal d'habitation de Laval’s Housing Accessibility and Adaptability Policy (in French).

For any questions about the housing adaptation program, contact the Office municipal d'habitation de Laval at


Housing transfer request

Transfer requests are governed by the Règlement concernant les demandes de transfert de logement, adopted by the Board of Directors of the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval on September 24th, 2021. To submit a housing transfer request, you must complete the form provided for this purpose and send it to Customer Service, by mail, fax or email to



Stationnement locataires


The tenant who wishes to obtain a parking space must have a vehicle registered in his name and it must be in working order. However, the limited space in some buildings means that the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval does not undertake to provide parking to all tenants who request it. If you wish to obtain a parking space, please contact us at 450.688.0184 ext. 191. When coming to the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval’s office to obtain your sticker, you will need to have your driver's license and your vehicle's registration certificate in your possession. Both must be valid. The rental of a parking space is valid for the full term of the lease and this rental is renewable upon renewal of the lease for your lodging. Your parking sticker must be visible at all times and it is important to park your vehicle properly in its space, between the lines. Any vehicle parked elsewhere than in the designated space may be towed without notice, at the tenant's expense.

Monthly pricingOutdoor, without electrial outletOutdoor, with electrical outletInteriorElectric carQuad scooter
Logements à loyer modique (HLM) $5.00 $10.00 $25.00* ___ ___
Logement abordable Québec (LAQ) ___ $10.00 ___ ___ ___
AccèsLogis Québec (ACL) Habitation Raymond Goyer $25.00 ___ $45.00 ___ ___
AccèsLogis Québec (ACL) Habitation Louise-Beauchamp $5.00 ___ $35.00 $60.00 $60.00

*Manoir Marc-Perron only


Building regulations

The building regulations that you sign are part of your lease and are intended to ensure the good condition and sanitation of housing and buildings, security of residents as well as harmonious cohabitation. For more information, you can consult the complete regulations of your building, according to the program:

Building regulations – Low rental housing (HLM)

Building regulations – Affordable housing Québec (LAQ)

Building regulations – (ACL)

Building regulations - Habitation Raymond-Goyer

Building regulations - Habitation Louise-Beauchamp

Building regulations - Habitations Pie-X

Invoicing and collection policy for balances - other than rent (French only)


Responsibilities of the tenant

By signing a lease with the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval, tenants agree to follow the regulations and certain rules of life, which allow everyone to enjoy their accommodation peacefully. Everyone must do their part to help improve the quality of life in social housing. As in th private rental market, tenants maintain their housing, respect their neighbors and pay their rent first day of the month. In addition, tenants must inform the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval of any change such as: arrival / departure of an occupant, new vehicle, new phone number, etc.


Stationnement locataires

In case of conflict

It is possible that disagreements and conflicts occur between neighbors:

  • Noise;
  • Misconduct;
  • Garbage;
  • Animals;
  • Etc.

Conflict arises when one person's behavior interferes with another's or when their values ​​clash. Conflicts between neighbors often degenerate very quickly because of the immediate proximity between people. Do not wait for the situation to become intolerable. Often the solution is simple when the problem is dealt with quickly. It is recommended, as a first step, to speak directly to the person concerned. Communication remains the best way to settle disagreements between two people. If this attempt is unsuccessful and you consider that you are suffering prejudice or that your rights are aggrieved, you can ask the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval in writing to intervene. The approach of the Office municipal d’habitation de Laval in complaints management is to promote harmony and collaboration between tenants. The aim is to find solutions by putting forward a conciliation approach and empowerment of the people concerned.

Policy for handling complaints / reports (In French)

Complaint / report form